Sunday, December 23, 2012


Two books and one movie were particularly informative and helped me understand certain important techniques that are used to create mysteries.  For example, in “And Then There Were None,” Agatha Christie provides clues to help the reader deduce who the murderer was.  Some of these clues were easier to figure out, while others were more complex and difficult; however, the clues continuously drew the reader in to try to solve the mystery.  It also gave me insight into character development and how character development can be used to present clues or create red herrings for the reader.  These same techniques can be seen in the film Murder on the Orient Express, which is based on Agatha Christie’s novel of the same name.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was expert at candidly presenting clues to the reader of varied complexity.  The difficulty is discerning the clues and interpreting the meaning of those clues.  His Sherlock Holmes short stories are very helpful in developing my skills of deduction which will help me create my own clues and reasoning in my mystery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment