Sunday, December 23, 2012


I have had the opportunity to watch a number of movies that I believed would be helpful in depicting certain techniques relating to my topic.  Having watched these movies, I have determined that a few did not provide much assistance including North by Northwest, which wasn’t a traditional mystery, but instead was an action thriller.  There were no techniques relating to mysteries or revealing clues to the audience.  The Maltese Falcon, showed the technique called the “MacGuffin,” as coined by Alfred Hitchcock.  This is where the storyline follows a specific object that obscures the main focus and goal of the protagonists, and is unimportant to the overall storyline.  In this case, the Maltese Falcon was the MacGuffin, and the real mystery was the murder of Sam Spade’s partner and the mystery woman’s involvement.  I plan to read shorter mystery stories, including “locked room” mysteries which I will take less time to read and provide better guidance relating to techniques for providing and revealing clues.   

No comments:

Post a Comment